What's it called when a male seahorse gets “inseminated”?

What's it called when a male seahorse gets “inseminated”?

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

I am looking for the scientific term for the process where a male seahorse receives eggs from the female. For example, we usually say, "the male inseminates the female with sperm." What is the correct term to use for seahorses? Would you say "the female inseminates the male with eggs", or is another term more appropriate?

Short answer
I think that "egg deposition" by means of the female "ovipositor" seems the most commonly used terminology.

A cursory Google search yielded quite a few alternatives, ordered here from the most fancy to the least:

  • that are deposited directly into the brood pouch… (Look et al., 2007)
  • transferring their eggs directly into the male brood pouch… (Masonjones & Lewis, 1997)
  • the female injects her eggs into the male's pouch using her penis-like ovipositor
  • once all the eggs are inserted

- Look et al., J Exp Biol (2007); 210: 432-7
- Masonjones & Lewis, Copeia 1996; (3): 634-40


  1. Matro

    show someone else who is boring!

  2. Abdul

    you were visited by simply excellent idea

  3. JoJojora

    You are making a mistake. I can prove it. Email me at PM.

  4. Jeramy

    I am sorry, that has interfered... But this theme is very close to me. Is ready to help.

  5. Clifland

    Not a bad site, I especially want to note the design

Write a message